Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Water Quality Comparison

Checking water quality is an important part of maintaining your own aquarium. Making sure your water quality is in check, as well as regular water changes, ensures that you are providing a safe habitat for your aquatic friend(s). Every week, I check his water's temperature, as well as the ammonia and nitrate levels, to make sure they aren't out of line. I also check pH, chlorine, water hardness, and alkalinity (slightly less frequently) to provide further insight on the state of Benson's environment. I change his water on a regular basis to make sure my fish baby has a clean and happy home.

This is not my tank, but it should be.

Since I actively examine and clean my water, it likely has a more pristine water quality than most lakes. Lakes are self-sustaining, so they don't have a careful fish mommy/caretaker (i.e. me) to constantly take care of the cleaning and maintaining the "household". 


The same argument can apply to rivers as well; they must maintain themselves (with the exception of water management workers). However, since rivers are rapidly moving, they have more dissolved oxygen than standing water, including Benson's tank.


No comments:

Post a Comment