Tuesday, May 28, 2013

My Ecosystem's Water Quality


The main thing I've learned about water quality in Benson's ecosystem is how important it is to maintain clean water in order to prevent levels of certain toxins from becoming too high. For example, even a tiny trace of chlorine in water will kill fish, so it is crucial to add dechlorinator to water (unless you're a psycho fish killer, but that's not the cool thing to be). Ammonia is extremely toxic to fish in high amounts, so it is important to keep an eye on ammonia levels as well. If the ammonia level seems too high, adding bacterial supplement can help to break down the ammonia into nitrites, which are then further broken down into nitrates.Nitrates can be regulated and removed by adding plants and changing water. Other than the time some dirty, rotten criminal clouded up my water by dropping a bunch of food in my tank, I have had no problems with water quality. My ammonia levels have never risen above about .13 ppm, and my nitrate levels have stayed at 20 ppm or less (though they were usually between 0 and 10 ppm).





No comments:

Post a Comment